LinkedIn has been around for over two decades and its usage has become a lot more prominent over the last 5 years. Companies, freelancers and employees are more active than ever on the platform, but it can be difficult to reach your audience.
Whether you are a B2B or B2C company, LinkedIn is a great platform to increase brand awareness, find new markets, hire individuals and get to know your audience's needs.
We put the following guide to help you reach your audience more effectively.
How do you optimise your Linked Profile or Company Page?
Before considering adopting a LinkedIn Marketing Strategy and setting out your goals and objectives, it is vital to optimise your profile and company page.
It is essential to ensure your profile is fully set up and optimised. This will help you reach more people when they are searching for companies or specific terms.
LinkedIn recommends a number of steps to optimise your profile:
- Choose the right profile picture. It is recommended to choose a photograph which represents you and is fairly recent. Try to aim for an image where your face covers around 60% of the frame.
- Add a cover photo. This can be something to represent your work or the company you work for. It should grab the attention of your profile viewers and give more context as to what you do.
- Make your headline stand out. This will always show with your name, not just on your profile. This should also serve the purpose of giving more information about what you do to your audience.
- Turn your summary into a story. Your summary should be concise and clear about what you do but try to not make it sound like a flawless CV.
- Grow your network. One of the best ways to start connecting with your audience is to enable LinkedIn to suggest people. This is done by syncing your email address book.
- List your relevant skills. Identify skills relevant to your past and present experience and keep those updated every few months.
- Include services you offer. This is especially important if you are a freelancer. Ensure your audience can easily access your services.
- Endorse others and encourage endorsement for yourself. This is one of the most effective ways to increase credibility. Spread the love and endorse people you have worked with before and be confident to ask for endorsements back.
- Take advantage of the skills assessments. LinkedIn offers skills assessments which are key to backing up your services or skills and increasing credibility too
- Showcase your passion for learning. Don’t be afraid to share qualifications or courses you have undertaken and share the knowledge learnt.
- Share media and marketing materials. Make use of the platform by sharing infographics, your day-to-day activities and how you have helped clients or customers.
- Repost, share or engage with relevant content from your LinkedIn feed. Be an active LinkedIn user and curate which posts you engage with to best reflect your interests.
- Turn on Creator Mode. This a profile setting which allows you to access analytics data about your profile. This should inform your strategy and help you grow your reach.
- Publish long-form content and repurpose it. You can share articles via Linkedin. Make use of this to share your knowledge and interests - repurpose this into smaller posts to market yourself.
Ensure most, if not all, of these points, are actioned on your profile and you will be able to create a strong strategy to reach your audience.
For Company Pages
A lot of the above points can be replicated on a Company Page, but ensure you also action these business pages specifics.
- Write a compelling “About Us” section and include relevant keywords. Use simple and accessible language, outlining who you are and what you do to help people see the value of your product or service.
- Grow your audience. Employees or administrators of your Company Page can invite their own connections to follow your Company Page. Make sure you take advantage of this.
- Build a Career or Product page. This will increase credibility and provide more information about your company to potential profile viewers.
- Encourage employees to interact with your content. Employee activity is a great way of reaching out to their connections, as a result, it will put your company page in front of a wider range of people.
What type of content should you post on LinkedIn?
The type of content you post on LinkedIn should be a true reflection of yourself as a person or your business.
Always use visual assets within your content, either photographs, videos or graphics. This is important to boost engagement and encourage people to stay on your post for longer periods of time, which is advantageous with the current algorithm.
Thought Leadership pieces tend to do well on LinkedIn, but also ensure that you post industry-relevant content such as industry news, tips and tutorials or case studies of your own work.
Sharing personable content is also important. Audiences like to see people and get to know your personality as a person or as a business.
Don't be afraid to share milestones, the LinkedIn community tends to be very supportive and everyone likes to see positive content on their feeds.
Creating polls is another great way to engage your audience and get their opinion and feedback. This is one of the most effective ways to reach a wider audience.
How to grow brand awareness on LinkedIn?
To organically grow brand awareness, ensure your profile or page is fully optimised using the points above. This will get your brand in front of a wider audience, increasing awareness.
Be clear and direct in your messaging to avoid confusion about your products or services.
Get to know your audience and create quality content accordingly. Using LinkedIn Analytics and analysing the basic data can help you make decisions about which content to post.
Always use visual assets aligned with your brand to increase brand recognition which eventually will result in growing your brand awareness.
If you need any assistance with your LinkedIn Strategy or want more information, visit our social media management services or get in touch.